Friday, November 5, 2010

My Trip to D.C. - The National Mall and the American History Museum

I visited Washington, D.C. for the first time on October 27. My friend Hannah and I were going for an American Bar Association Meet-and-Greet that was to take place that evening, and we decided to go up early enough to get in a little siteseeing since I hadn't been there before. Our school is only a few hours from D.C., so we drove up that morning.

It poured down rain the entire drive up. It was very pretty though, driving through Northern Virginia.



Had a little car trouble along the way, but maybe it was just all the water on the road? Who knows. Anyway, we got there, finally found parking in the pouring rain and found the nearest metro stop. I had never ridden a metro before either.





The first thing I saw when we came up out of the metro tunnel was this...


And this....

How lovely are those?? We walked across the National Mall to get to the National Museum of American History which we toured for a couple of hours.




The dress belonged to Michelle Obama. She wore it for the Inaugural Ball.



This dress was worn by Carol Burnette in her skit "Went With the Wind," on the Carol Burnette show. I LOVE that skit, so I was very happy to see this.



And these are THE ruby slippers from the movie, The Wizard of Oz. I was very, very happy.

Then we saw the Julia Child's exhibit. The exhibit recreated Julia Child's kitchen and had many of her kitchen things inside. I watched Julie and Julia last year and sometimes watched Cooking with Julia when I was a kid, so this exhibit was pretty fasinating to me.






I'll continue the rest of the trip in another blog post.

Coming soon: The Natural History Museum and more National Mall

No comments:

Post a Comment