Sunday, October 3, 2010

Concerts, Apple Orchards, and Dinner Parties

This weekend has been busy busy with lots of fun activities. I don't have any plans for today (Sunday), and I'm perfectly ok with that.

Friday, I had class in the morning, and then I went to Cracker Barrel with some of my classmates/friends. Last school year, we went to Cracker Barrel every Tuesday for breakfast, but our schedules are too different this year to be able to that regularly like before. However, we did get to go on Friday. It was lovely. I always love the conversations that this group of friends has. Never a dull moment.

Friday evening, me, my roommates, and two of our guy friends went to Outback Steakhouse for a pre-concert supper. Again, conversation was wonderful, and we barely talked any about law school (even though all of us are in law school right now). I was happy for that since it seems like my entire life is lawschool right now. [Only 7 more months]. After we ate, we went to the Switchfoot Concert! I was a little irritated when we first got there to stand in line. The doors opened at 7:30. I wanted to be there at 6, but we didn't get there til almost 6:30. Hundreds and hundreds of people were already lined up. I made a decision, though, to not be angry about getting bad seats (since it was first-come-first-serve to seating) and just to be happy and enjoy myself. So I did. :)

We did finally get inside and didn't have terrible seats, so it worked out nicely. The band that opened for Switchfoot was called The Almost. I've heard a couple of their songs before, and they aren't bad on recording, but they are pretty awful in live concert. Or maybe they can just blame their sound mixer. Either way, it was so awful that many people in the crowd actually sat down with their arms crossed or took out their cell phones while this band was performing. My friends and I made a joke that "The Almost" should actually be called "The Not-Quite..." Mean. I know.

Anyway, after The Almost, Switchfoot performed. I was really, really impressed with their show. The lead singer, Jon Foreman, actually opened the show by sneaking into the crowd when the lights were off and started singing while standing up on some of the chairs (only 6 rows from us, I might add). :) He is a very talented musician and performer. They sang many of my favorite songs, my roommate Amy and I pretended to have a fan-girl meltdown, and I sang and screamed my voice hoarse.

After the concert, we all went back to our house and played Cranium Turbo. Girls beat the guys. :) All in all, it was a lovely, lovely evening.

Saturday, I went to the Farmers' Market with my roommate Meredith and my friends Kasia and Kerri. One coffee, a loaf of Amish Sourdough bread, a deep purple eggplant, a free English cucumber, and many wonderful conversations later, we decided to go to an apple orchard festival at Carter Mountain Orchard near Charlottesville, VA. I'd never been to an apple orchard before, and I am in love with them. This one is huge and covers hundreds of acres with its many varieties of apple tree. I bought a glass of cold cider while I was there that was fantastic, and I walked away with a bag full of Jonagold, Winesap, and Golden Delicious apples. (Winesap is my favorite).

After that, we went to Blenheim Vineyards which is owned by Dave Matthews of the Dave Matthews Band. Didn't see Davey-boy, but Meredith and Kasia did enjoy a wine-tasting. I tasted a couple of the varieties. I'm not much of an alcoholic beverage person, but I did like tasting the different flavors of each one. I bought a very pretty wineglass with the name of the Winery etched on the base of it.

Finished off the day at a small dinner party at the apartment of my friends, Roman and Heather. Roman and Heather are newly weds and are absolutely adorable. Heather is also a great cook. Italian-seasoned chicken drumsticks, angel hair pasta with cherry tomatoes and basil, sauteed vegetables, and chocolate frosted cake and vanilla ice cream for dessert. Perfect meal. :) After dinner, we drank rooibus tea and watch "The Count of Monte Cristo." The evening was full of absolutely wonderful conversation and lots of good times. :) Heather and I have a lot in common, and I like her very much. :) [Here's Heather's blog, if you are interested... http://auntielele.blogspot.com/ ]

Anyway, that was my weekend. Even though I haven't gotten much school work accomplished because of everything else that has been going on, I still consider it to be one of the best weekends of year so far. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun weekend. I love farmer's markets and apple orchards. I'm hoping to go to a pumpkin patch this year to get our jack-o-lantern:)

    ReplyDelete